What is the congregation’s or organization’s vision for ministry? Additionally describe how this vision is lived out.
The Mossy Creek congregation believes it has been blessed with the presence of the Holy Spirit and is secure in its identity as guardians of our Faith. We seek to be warm, caring, friendly, outward-reaching, and responsible brothers and sisters in Christ.
The congregation appreciates worship that is traditional and has a desire for services structured to enhance a deeper sense of worship fostered by Bible study and periods of meditation.
Our church community is:
Mossy Creek Church will continue to respond to God's Word, reaching out in love to those in need, rejoicing together at the wonders produced by God's gifts, and gathering together in praise, prayer, and thanksgiving for the many blessings of this world.
- Committed to providing healthy Christian Education programs and opportunities which enable all ages to explore and study the Word of God.
- Committed strongly to continuing and expanding our Witness and Service programs with emphasis on local needs.
- Striving to become active stewards of time and talents to benefit the Church in local, regional, and global areas.
- Working to effectively share current activities and communicate new needs to strengthen our stewardship programs. These efforts will enhance our opportunities to share God's grace.
How do you feel called to reach out to address the emerging needs of your community or constituency?
We are called by Christ to love our neighbors. Striving to be a hospitable congregation, we extend a welcome in the name of Jesus Christ to all who enter. We have a long history of mission outreach into our community and the world around us. Our faithful congregation possesses specific gifts, skills, and life experiences which are shared generously to fulfill our mission. The Elders, the Board of Deacons and members, work closely with the pastor to address such congregational needs as providing meals in times of need, visiting the sick and shut in, providing transportation, and serving Holy Communion during services and to the home bound.
Locally, MCPC is involved with a variety of programs: we provide products and support to two local food banks, annually we hold clothing and shoe drives for the residents in Circleville, West Virginia, provide support to the Campus Ministry program at James Madison University and provide financial and physical support to Habitat for Humanity. On a national level MCPC has sent mission teams to a variety of places to help with disaster damaged and substandard homes.
Funding for our outreach ministries is provided in part by an annual fall Harvest Sale Auction that has been held for over forty years. This event is generously supported by our congregation and the community at large. God has been faithful to MCPC, and we seek to serve Him with the same faithfulness.
How will this position help you to reach your vision and mission goals?
The pastor will help the church reach our vision and mission goals by leading the congregation spiritually to a deeper commitment to Jesus Christ through worship and Bible study. As we grow in our faith, the person chosen should strive to lead us to a more active involvement in our community and world. We have a diverse and multi-talented congregation willing to serve. We need someone who recognizes ability, builds trust, and guides effectively in proclaiming God’s word. The person in this position should set an example for the church members by actively working to serve others in the church and community. Our pastor will help us to grow in faith as we reach out with the assurance of God’s love and grace for the world. In turn, we offer to our new pastor an environment of warmth, inclusion, and community.
Provide a description of the characteristics needed by the person who is open to being called to this congregation and or organization.
From our Mission Study, it is very important to the work of Mossy Creek Church that the person called as our minister:
- is seeking to live an honest, loving and moral Christian life
- is comfortable interacting with people from all walks of life
- is dedicated to the Presbyterian Church government and reformed theology
- is competent in Biblical and theological knowledge
- is supportive of traditional worship
- is highly motivated, self- starter, with good organizational skills who is able to carry out church missions and programs
- has excellent interpersonal skills and is comfortable with all ages
- displays Christian compassion and understanding for all members of the congregation
- is willing to represent the church in larger communities
What specific tasks, assignments, and program areas will this person have responsibility?
The person chosen to be the pastor at Mossy Creek Church should have strong commitments to preaching and teaching God's Word and to the pastoral care of members.
Specifically, from our Mission Study the following tasks are essential to the work of our church:
- planning and leading spiritually uplifting worship services
- visiting and ministering to all members, with extra emphasis on those who cannot attend church because of age or illness
- preaching God's Word as it relates to daily living
- administering the sacraments with respect for the traditions of the church
- actively support existing programs of the church including stewardship, education, mission and service
- planning and conducting effective church officer training and confirmation classes
- helping plan and promote effective communication for the congregation
- conduct Bible studies appropriate to the various groups in the church at least quarterly
- attend presbytery meetings and be an active presbyter
- represent the church in dealing with the North River Ministerial Organization
- attend church functions and events
- provide a written monthly report of all pastoral activities to the session
- moderate the session and coordinate the agenda with the clerk
- leading special services
- joining at least one civic organization