What is the congregation’s or organization’s vision for ministry? Additionally describe how this vision is lived out.
Our vision for the ministry at Moorefield Presbyterian Church is moving us to be active to support the spiritual formation of each member of our congregation as we seek to become Disciples of Christ. We have the following strengths through which this is accomplished:
We are blessed with dedicated members, who provide lay leadership and form a strong foundation of faith.
We utilize the musical talents of our congregation to accentuate worship and provide special programs
Members willingly provide support for families in need as well as for celebratory events.
The Church strongly supports a variety of local and world-wide mission opportunities through personal and financial commitments.
Our members seek a variety of rich experiences to worship for different age ranges, including Bible studies, holiday worship opportunities and other new programs. We welcome fresh ideas that will help all members and visitors to live and experience our mission and vision. We want our church to grow and be a welcoming and inspiring place of worship for the whole community.
Moorefield Presbyterian Church is a single congregation with one Session, but we have Sunday worship services at three different locations: the Tannery Chapel (9 am), Oak Dale Chapel (10 am) and the Town Church (11 am). We need to continue this practice, but we welcome suggestions for different approaches to worship, including increased participation from the congregation and lay preaching possibilities.
How do you feel called to reach out to address the emerging needs of your community or constituency?
There are a significant number of ministries in which we participate such as: disaster assistance, Moorefield Ministerial Association, Moorefield Christmas Toy and Food Project, MAC House, and 4 Cents-a-Meal Program to list a few.
As we focus on growth and outreach into our community, we are seeking a pastor who will assist us in addressing the following:
We are a welcoming and supportive church and encourage visitors and community organizations to utilize our facilities. We look to expand our worship opportunities for our members and visitors while respecting and following the tradition of the Presbyterian Church.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to reach new people and those who have been absent and welcome them into the life of the church.
- Create new programs and enhance existing ones for children, youth, young adults, families and aging members to help us all grow closer to God.
- Expand outreach ministries to provide services to those broken or lost by life circumstances within our church and community.
- Moorefield is becoming a diverse ethnic community. This provides the church opportunities to explore and implement outreach strategies to welcome these minorities into our church family.
How will this position help you to reach your vision and mission goals?
Moorefield Presbyterian Church is in a period of transition. We desire, with God’s help, to work with an intentional minister who will assist us in unifying our congregation and set us on a path to health and growth. Our minister will need to work with our congregation’s strengths, and guide us in reforming our weaknesses, so that we may better serve our church and community.
- Our pastor will lead the congregation through preaching, teaching and by example of the Word.We are seeking someone who is able to deliver inspiring sermons, connect scripture truths to our lives and broaden our understanding of God and His purpose for us.We seek someone to be inspiration and visit members who may be home-bound and/or residents of local nursing homes/rehabilitation centers.
- The Pastor will support youth activities and will share ideas for service activities with the youth leaders.Programs for our children and youth are an important faith connection with the church and its families.These programs should focus on connecting youth opportunities for mission work and enjoyable activities that help them to grow stronger within a family of faith.
Provide a description of the characteristics needed by the person who is open to being called to this congregation and or organization.
We are searching for a spiritual leader who will join our faith family and share a loving relationship with God. The Pastor we are seeking needs to inspire us through passionate teachings of God that are biblically based and relevant. This individual will be faithful, trustworthy and consistent in theology. We are seeking a person with good preaching and leadership skills, which can help all generations, recognize God in their lives.
The pastor will be compassionate, warm hearted and enjoy connecting with others. He/she will show good judgement, fairness and collaboration in the decision making process; striving to build relationships with church members and the community. Our leader must be able to provide emotionally mature guidance and support to others as a warm, compassionate, understanding caregiver to people in crisis as well as celebration. We need someone who is excited about his/her relationship with God, energetic and engaging to attract families and retain older members. All of this together describes the person who will join us in our spiritual journey.
What specific tasks, assignments, and program areas will this person have responsibility?
The Pastor will:
- Provide a continuing and balanced ministry of word and sacrament, education and pastoral care.
- Provide pastoral services such as funerals, weddings, baptisms, home/hospital visits, and communion to shut-ins, and pastoral presence in crisis situation.
- Assist the church is resolving conflicts when necessary.
- Be a resource to the ministries/committees of the church.
- Support, encourage, and strengthen the programs of the church and provide guidance and suggestions for the enhancement of these programs.
- Maintain personal growth programs through formal and informal study as required and appropriate.
- Encourage membership in the Moorefield Presbyterian Church by actively welcoming visitors to the congregation.
- Provide administrative leadership and organization integration for the congregation as the Session directs.
- Moderate the Session, serve as ex-officio with the Nominating Committee, and act as a resource to other committees as necessary and moderate Congregation meetings and gatherings as called by the Session.
Facebook Pages: Moorefield Presbyterian Church: https://www.facebook.com/mfldpresbych?fref=ts
Moorefield Presbyterian Church Youth:
Hardy County, West Virginia: